Saturday, May 26, 2012

Late shifts and People

The last couple of days have been mostly about work. My shifts have started in the late afternoon and completed at around midnight, so in the mornings I have mostly...played online scrabble. I know, I know, I really need to get out and enjoy that Florida sun. I'll do it today. I promise. It's been different, working in the Marketplace at night rather than the gift shop during the day. You get to see a lot more families and couples just picking up groceries and alcohol after a long, fun day at the parks (we sold about 4 or 5 bottles of Crown Royal alone last night!) It's fun for me, I like to imagine what their day might have been like. One particular family all came in sporting rosy tans/sunburns, so I imagine they spent quite a bit of time at the pool. Others come in wanting to use up the rest of the cash on their room cards just before they leave the next day, so they'll buy 14 packs of mixed nuts. That's one of the reasons I love working with people - it's so entertaining to imagine what they're story is. I had the privilege of meeting a mother and her children who came from northern Quebec. I overheard them talking while they shopped, and so when they came up to the cash, I greeted them with "Ca va? ("Everything going well?") The mother responded with and english yes, and behind her, her son whispered in french, "Mama, I think she said that in french." It was cute, and it lead to a wonderful conversation in both french and english about Canadians and how their vacation was going. I have to say, that was probably my favourite moment of the day. I also got to deliver some grocery orders, which is a lot of fun, too. The rooms that we deliver to are super-deluxe time-shares, and they are just gorgeous. It's like someone cut out a picture from an Ikea magazine and turned the room into an exact, life sized replica. The thought occurred to me while I was putting the groceries in the fridge that although it would be a wonderful experience, I would never actually stay there in fear of viewing my bill once the vacation has ended. Instead, I'll just use my imagination and experience the rooms on the rare occasions that I deliver groceries :P

No comments:

Post a Comment