Thursday, May 17, 2012

Days 10 + 11: Training week begins

SO I have made a very important discovery! (and many thanks to Jeremy who originally made the finding) - a cappucino machine that sells hot chocolate, french vanilla, coffee, espresso, etc. for 30 cents a cup! The place that I rent my movies from, the Clubhouse, is going to be getting a lot of visits from me from this day forward thanks to that! Not a whole lot of social networking has been happening over the last few days as all my new friends and roomates have received different schedules, so it has been difficult to organise any park visits for any decent amount of time. I have been doing a lot of reading and movie watching though(I am trying to get through all the Disney princesses :P) Okay, so on Tuesday morning I was up and in costume and on the bus to work by 7:15am, and when I arrived had everybody confused as there was no assigned trainer scheduled to work with me. One of my managers ended up assigning me to the cash register (which was terrifying) for an hour and then sent me on an early 30 minute break. During my break, one of my coordinaters approache dme and told me I was free to go home. As it turns out, I was supposed to have attended an orientation class in professional attire rather than been on the floor in costume. I had been checking the wrong schedule. I got home and had a glorious nap, followed by cooking up some pasta and meatballs for dinner, and then getting ready to set out into the rainy evening to pick up some cereal from the Dollar Tree. No sooner had I stepped out of my apartment did I happen upon a group of friends heading to the pool to chill in the hot tub. I decided to join them and spent a the rest of the evening getting to know some more lovely people from Canada and England. The next morning I was up and out again for a shift at 9:30am. My first trainer, Sherida, wasn't there but I did have a new trainer who was just as nice and very informative. Our job was to cover breaks for the day, so we worked the cash registers in both the Marketplace and the BVG (bayview gifts) gift shop. I also received a lot of info on theft prevention, which was great to know. We have to count "the Disney Way", which is counting change backwards to the guest. It requires a little bit more thinking than the way I udo it at Tim Hortons, and when you are dealing with traveler's cheques, Disneyworld charge cards that require extra ID, signing receipts, and package delivery, it's difficult to do everything the "disney way". I'm slowly getting more used to it though, and there are always people around to help. I think my favourite part of the job so far is that I am not only allowed to but encouraged to go and stand out in front of the cash and talk to the guests for as long as I want, if no one needs to check something out. Also, pin-trading is a lot of fun, but I am trying not to get attached to my favourite pins. They aren't mine to keep, but yesterday I almost had trouble trading off a beautiful little Snow White pin to a lady who handed me a Mickey Christmas pin in exchange. Oh well. I can't wait to get my own starter kit to start trading for my favourite pins! After a long day of standing/ more eLearning, I got home by six o clock. There were a couple of people who invited me to watch the fireworks at epcot, but I couldn't get in touch with them as they had already left. It's very strange and limiting not having a cellphone. I am strating to rethink my decision about buying an American one. Jer and I ended up venturing out into yet another rainy evening to the Dollar tree for some dry foods, and then met up with his friend Ken in the clubhouse, drinking cappucinos and playing chess. There was a very bizarre movie on as well, which we ended up leaving before the end because of how strange it was. Plus, Jer and Ken had to work in the morning. I finished off my evening with Sleeping Beauty and then a late night into bed. The end :P

No comments:

Post a Comment