Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 12 - Fudge sampling!

Today was my first closing shift at the gift shop, and boy was it fun! I had my original trainer, Sherida, who I found out is also training to become a Co-ordinater. She really is such a sweet lady, and very personable (or chatty as she calls herself). She told me I remind her a lot of herself because talking with the guests seems to come naturally and comfortably for me. What a compliment! I always have had an interest in people, so I suppose that makes this job all the more enjoyable. We started at 3:30pm and just did the usual stuff, reviewing where stock is and covering breaks at the three different stores. At one point we covered the candy counter(which technically doesn't sell candy - but it does sell a delicious assortment of fudge, ugar cookies, cupcakes, and chocolate cups!) I learned how to scan and package fragile items and the "candy" items, and then we went into one of the back stock rooms to cut and refill the display case. My trainer told me that since guests would and are known to ask detailed questions about the taste and consistency of the fudge, she had received permission for us to taste-test a few. What a treat! I think that was my favourite part of the day. What I find is also a cheerful addition to a day shift is that there is a constant flow of Disney movie songs playing softly, both the originals and redone versions (I prefer the originals, personally.) One of these for example, is any song from the Little Mermaid, or Zip a dee doo dah. I try not to sing along too much, but it's hard :P We worked the cash registers and traded pins for the next few hours, then at ten o clock Sherida took me outside the store and up near the windows to watch the end of the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom. We could even hear the music that accompanied them! I caught myself again getting excited like Liam does, but I couldn't help it. I never get bored of fireworks! It got busy for the last half hour before closing, as everyone was returning from the parks, but we were able to get the registers counted and closed up and taken downstairs to be put away by 12:15am, which isn't too bad considering we were going slowly. By the time I got home, it was after 1am, and so I ate a quick bowl of cereal for dinner, checked my emails, and headed for bed for an early rise the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment