Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Homesickness

It's been just over two weeks that Jer and I have been here at the Happiest Place on Earth, and while I am certainly having a wonderful time and making lots of memories, a tiny bit of homesickness has begun setting in. It's not a big deal, I don't cry myself to sleep or anything, but I have caught myself wishing that I could spend some time chatting with my dad, or give Liam a big hug or have sushi with Ben or lay outside in the sun with my mom. I guess it's normal (one of my new friends left today for England, having self-terminated because of swollen ankles. When I commented that it really sucks that she had to leave, she replied that she was ready to go home.)I think it is also because I have been spending less time hanging out with people and more time either at work or sleeping. I need to figure out a schedule for myself. In the meantime, I think next week will be a good week for tanning. The cloudy, rainy weather has finally ceased and the sun's been hot and shining for the last few days, plus most of my shifts begin at 3pm or later. I think I'll do the best I can to soak up as much Vitamin D as possible. Also, good news! I have finally figured out the right measurements of coffee appropriate for my now-functioning coffee maker. Hurray!
Image - This sign was hanging in the stall of the cast member bathroom at work. The first and third lines are obviously English and Spanish, but the middle line seems to be some adaptation of French (ex: in french, "et puis" means "and then", but said really quickly can sound like "ehpee", which is what the word "Epi" on the sign seems to sound like.) My best guess is that it is a form of Creole. I probably spent more time examining it then I should have :P P.S. Comments are always welcome! If anybody has any suggestions or advice on what I should do while in Florida, or even just to say hi to let me knowyou're reading, I'd love to hear!

3 comments:

  1. Hey darlin, I just figured out how to comment again :P
    Shan and I were talking yesterday about how we are happy you are having fun, but we miss you (see, homesickness runs both ways lol)
    If you are feeling homesick, tip for you (from a traveller) set one hour a day aside to do something just for you. Whether it be hanging out with friends, baking a cake, practising music, or vegging. It helps :)
    PS. Taping a pic of you to a balloon when we go camping, and I'll tag you in pics :D Be happy :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably five years too late but to add to Eric's comment, Florida has a large Haitian population. While staying at the Grand Floridian during a vist in 2011, I noticed a large number of house keeping were Haitian women. Being a francophone myself, it was fascinating to listen to them speak. Hearing them, one would say ah French but when you listened to them it came across as someone mumbling in French. The building supervisor (The Conch Key) was French (Marc... he was super nice) and we spoke at length about the Creole. I would speak to the ladies in French but only half of them could speak French and then that was limited as well. Thank you for sharing your experience! - North Carolina

    ReplyDelete