Friday, May 11, 2012

Day 6 - First day of training!

SO, today was my first day of training - on location! I showed up at Disney's Contemporary resort(the one with the monorail that runs through it) at 7:40am and wasn't actually retrieved by by trainers until 8:45. We then took an hour to figure out costume sizes,as the newer ones are larger than the old ones. Also, the costume sizes at disneyworld are very strange. Ask anyone - you have to go up 2-4 sizes from what you usually wear! I wasn't very disappointed with my costume in the end. It's not a dress, but it's certainly a bit more flattering than a lot of other costumes I've seen :P There are three shops I'll be working at throughout my shifts - Bayview Vacation Club giftshop, Fantasia,which are like Disney paraphilia stores, and the Marketplace, which is like a small grocery store that stocks beer and cigars. I spent the first half of my shift getting familiar with where the merchandise is (We sell fudge, cookies, and cupcakes too! I was excited about that :P) and how to explain directions to guests. I received a ribbon to attach to my nametag that says "earning my ears" to show that I'm in training still. I was surprised with how many people noticed it and wished me luck! Also, I received a pad with about 10 collectable pins for trading. Apparently, its a big thing to trade pins at disneyworld. I had kids and adults alike approaching me at least 6 or 7 times throughout the day to view my stock. I loved all the constant interaction with the guests, and my manager and trainer siad I'm a natural! Our break room is really nice, and has a huge flatsceen tv that I was watching the View on during my break. It was great. Also, during an 8 hour shift I found out that I get two 30 minutes breaks - one paid and one not. Which is also great! After spending about an hour and a half doing some dull online, video training, we had some extra time and so we jumped on the monorail and visited two other deluxe resorts, the Polynesian and the FLoridian. They. Are. GORGEOUS! The floridian is especially expensive, but if you have a couple thousand dollars laying around, I'd say go for it! There was a pianist playing these beautiful redone disney songs on a grand piano in the centre of the...couch area? Lobby? I don't know what to call it, but it was a huge open, victorian-styled space. I'll be sure to take pictures for the next time I visit. In the meantime, here are the lovebugs that are EVERYWHERE as well as me in costume!

No comments:

Post a Comment