Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 1 - Move in day

So the last two days were spent travelling and shopping. We drove to Niagara Falls (American side) and flew out of there on Saturday. A member in our group, having a broken leg, brought along a wheelchair and a sign for the car allowing us permission to park in the wheelchair parking spots. What a plus that was!
Upon arriving at the Holiday Inn Express in Orlando, we took multiple trips to Dollar Tree and Target to stock up on foodstuff and living necessities. We took a break to enjoy the pool and get out of the marijuana-smelling hallway, but by the time 4 o clock rolled around on Sunday, we were still exhausted.
By four thirty, we had made our way to the Vista Way complex where our residences would be located. Jeremy and I walked in to the Welcome Centre and were greeted by a handful of greeters cheering us in. I think that's when the excitement really hit. We received envelopes with our room key, itinerary, and bus schedule and were each shown to our rooms right away. As we were opening up our rental van to unload are impressive collection of grocery bags, two friendly American students showed up to welcome us to Disney and help us out. Thanks to them, we met quite a few other students and helped them out with their bags as well. When I moved in, there was no one else here but I quickly learned that most of my roomates are from the UK! In fact, my building is mostly comprised of Canadian and British students participating in the ICP program. I keep insisting that their accents are great, but my "flatmate" Amy says she'd prefer mine over her own :P I went over to visit Jeremey in his building and was greeted by about 15 italians. Turns out his italian roomate was having a birthday celebration and had invited his friends over. What a treat that was! They cooked some delicious pasta and invited us out to the pool area to eat and be merry. Luckily for me, a couple of them spoke french better than English, so I got to practice! It's good to know I don't have to worry about my french deteriorating over the summer. Today we begin our orientations. Despite the fact that we get to dress casual, we still need to dress within the Disney Look. Easier said than done. Still, I'm having a great time settling in and I love my new roomates, so I'm looking forward to the next three months! Images: 1 - A photo I took from the plane while we were flying above the clouds 2 - Jer and I acting silly before going out to the pool.

2 comments:

  1. omg Dria, that sounds like so much fun :) so glad you are settled in. have fun, we'll miss you like crazy :)
    keep up the blog so i can live vicariously through you :P

    ReplyDelete